Dr Mohammed Matar Salem bin Abid Al Kaabi
Born at Al Waha Hospital in Al Ain on July 16, 1966, H.E. Dr. Mohammed Matar Salem bin Abid Al Kaabi studied in the Military School and excelled throughout his academic preparations. He obtained his bachelor's degree in Islamic and Arabic Studies from the College of Islamic and Arabic Studies in Dubai in 1994 and a master's degree in Islamic Jurisprudence and its principles from Mohammed V University, Morocco in 1998. In 2002 he got his PhD (with distinction) in Islamic Studies, the Unit of Research in Islamic Studies Curriculums from the same University. His PhD dissertation was recommended for publication.
Dr. Al Kaabi assumed various leadership positions in the UAE armed forces and received the Sheikh Rashid Award for Scientific Excellence for his master's degree. He entered several military training courses where he got distinctions and ranked the top of his class in the skydiving category. In his military career, he served as an officer with the UAE Armed Forces where he progressed through the ranks from Candidate to Lieutenant colonel (Candidate, Second lieutenant, First Lieutenant, captain, Major, Lieutenant Colonel).
He also worked in the UK for five years as an academic counselor for UAE sponsored students, and he has been honoured by the Sheikh Rashid Award for Scientific Excellence for his PhD degree.
Dr Al Kaabi has been studying Arabic calligraphy. He excelled in Naskh (cursive) and Ruqaah (patch) writings, Persian calligraphy in addition to Diwani (a decorative writing distinguished by the complexity of the line within the letter and the close juxtaposition of the letters within the word) and Tulut (a writing style marked by elongated verticals). Dr. Al Kaabi is also interested in Arabic grammar and syntax, Arabic poetry, especially the pre-Islamic ones.
His hobbies range from volleyball, swimming, archery, horseback riding to scubadiving.
Dr. al Kaabi previously held the following posts:
- Chairman of the Zayed House for Islamic culture.
- Vice Chairman of the National Committee of Conferences.
- Head of the Friday Sermon Committee with the General Authority of Islamic Affairs and Endowments (GAIAE).
- Member of the UAE Moonsighting Committee.
- Head of various subcommittees.
- Head of the preachers and imams' testing and selection committee with the GAIAE.
- Member of the Board of Directors of the Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque.
- Experience of more than 23 years in administration.
- Lecturer atMohammed V University, Rabat, Morocco.
His publications include:
- "Manhaj al Istidlal al Fiqhi inda Ibn Hazm wa Ibn Abdulber" (The Jurisprudential Approach to the Inference of Ibn Hazm and Ibn Abdulber).
- "Al Unf fi al Turath al Islami: Ibra wa Dhikra" (Violence in Islamic Heritage: Lessons and Reflections).
- "Dawr al Maraa fi Binaa al Mujtamaa" (The role of Women in Building Society).
- "Natharat fi al Din wa al Fikr wa al Mujtamaa" (Insights into the Religion, Thought and Society).
- "Mudawat al-Nafs wa Tahdhib al-Akhlaq: Tahqiq" (Curing the Self and rectifying manners: A Critical Account).
- "Maathiru al Aalam" (The Legacy of the Masters).
- " Li Qawmin Yatafakkaroon" (For Those who Reflect).